- This event has passed.
World Disco Soup with Slow Food Youth
Apr 27 @ 11:00 - 23:00
Disco Soup is returning to Johannesburg!
It’s almost time for the Slow Food Youth Network’s (SFYN) biggest coordinated effort to fight against food waste and climate change.
On April 27, the third edition of SFYN’s annual World Disco Soup Day will take place around the globe. From Uganda to Japan, Brazil to the Netherlands, our global Slow Food Youth Network (SFYN) joins forces for World Disco Soup Day. On this day, all over the world, we throw parties where organisers and visitors turn food waste into a disco soup! An event to cook, eat and dance together. Showing the fun way to save food, while thinking seriously about the amount that goes to waste.Last year, through the amazing efforts of volunteers across more than 100 events worldwide, we managed to rescue 20,000 kilograms of food that would otherwise have been thrown away and, instead, turned it into 40,000 free meals.
What’s happening on Saturday?
– Cooking and drum circle at the Bez Valley Agric Co-Op
– Food on the roof of Skills Village (Frere Road 91, Bezvalley)
– Live music
– Poetry reading
– Documentary / Film night
What should you bring?
– Your own cup and spoon
– Camping chair
– Instruments if you feel like jammin’ with the marimbas
– Good mood and positive energy
What can you contribute?
– Do you have access to a local store / bakery / farmer?
Ask them about what happens with their food waste and invite them to contribute
– If you want to help cooking, bring knife and chopping board
The event and food are free!
Donations are welcome!